A National Historic Landmark open to the public since 1912
History & People
The Moffatt-Ladd House as built between 1760 and 1763 for the only son of John Moffatt, one of the wealthiest men in the colony of New Hampshire prior to the Revolution. Samuel and Sarah Catherine Moffatt were the first to live in the house and they took up residence shortly after their wedding in February 1764. They would be the beginning of almost 150 years of the same family living in the stately home on Fore Street, overlooking the Piscataqua River. For more information about each generation of family members who lived in the Moffatt-Ladd House, please click on the hanging tabs under History & People in the left menu.
Owned and operated by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of New Hampshire